Can Medicare Cover a Walker?

Home » Resources » Can Medicare Cover a Walker?

Medicare is a federal health insurance program that primarily caters to individuals aged 65 and above, as well as those with certain disabilities. It consists of several parts, each covering different aspects of healthcare. To determine whether Medicare covers a walker, we need to examine the specific components of the program.

Medicare Part B Coverage

Medicare Part B is one of the primary parts of the program that focuses on medical services and supplies necessary to diagnose or treat medical conditions. This includes durable medical equipment (DME) like walkers, which are considered essential for mobility assistance.

Criteria for Coverage

To qualify for Medicare coverage of a walker, certain criteria must be met. Medicare typically covers walkers when they are deemed medically necessary by a healthcare professional. The following conditions must be fulfilled:

  • You must have a medical condition that affects your mobility and necessitates the use of a walker.
  • Your healthcare provider must prescribe the walker as a medical necessity for your condition.
  • The walker must be supplied by a Medicare-approved supplier.

The Walker Coverage Process

When seeking coverage for a walker through Medicare, it is important to follow the necessary steps to ensure a smooth process.

  • Visit your healthcare provider: Make an appointment with your healthcare provider to discuss your mobility needs and whether a walker would be beneficial for you.
  • Get a prescription: If your healthcare provider determines that a walker is necessary, they will provide you with a prescription detailing the type of walker needed.
  • Find a Medicare-approved supplier: Locate a supplier that is approved by Medicare to provide walkers. This ensures that you receive the appropriate equipment and that Medicare will cover the costs.
  • Submit the necessary paperwork: Work with the supplier to complete the required paperwork for Medicare coverage. This includes providing your prescription and any additional documentation requested by Medicare.
  • Determine coverage and costs: Medicare will review your claim and determine whether coverage is approved. If approved, Medicare will typically cover 80% of the cost of the walker, and you will be responsible for the remaining 20%.
  • Follow up with Medicare: If your claim is denied or you encounter any issues, it is essential to follow up with Medicare to understand the reasons for denial or seek resolution.

Additional Considerations

While Medicare does cover walkers that meet the necessary criteria, it’s important to keep in mind a few additional factors:

Medicare Advantage Plans

If you are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C), coverage for walkers may vary. These plans are offered by private insurance companies and must provide at least the same coverage as Original Medicare (Part A and Part B). It’s advisable to review the specifics of your plan or consult your plan provider for details on walker coverage.

Upgrades and Accessories

Medicare typically covers basic walkers, but if you require an upgrade or additional accessories for your walker, such as wheels, brakes, or specialized handles, these may not be covered. It’s important to consult with your healthcare provider and Medicare-approved supplier to understand any potential out-of-pocket expenses for these enhancements.


Access to accurate information is crucial in making informed decisions about healthcare and Medicare coverage. While Medicare does cover walkers that are medically necessary, it is important to meet the specific criteria outlined by the program. By following the necessary steps and working with Medicare-approved suppliers, you can ensure that your walker is covered, easing the financial burden associated with mobility assistance.


  • Medicare Part B covers walkers when prescribed by a healthcare professional and deemed medically necessary.
  • The walker coverage process involves obtaining a prescription, finding a Medicare-approved supplier, and submitting the necessary paperwork.
  • Medicare typically covers 80% of the cost of the walker, with the remaining 20% being the patient’s responsibility.
  • Medicare Advantage Plans may have different coverage policies for walkers.
  • Upgrades and accessories for walkers may not be covered by Medicare.

Useful Resources:

  1. – Durable Medical Equipment (DME) coverage
  2. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services – Find a Supplier
  3. National Institute on Aging – Choosing and Using Walkers Safely

Insurance Facts

Join the 65+ million Americans
looking for insurance options

Description: Health insurance is a crucial form of coverage that helps protect you and your family from high medical costs. It provides financial support by covering medical expenses such as hospitalization, doctor visits, prescription drugs, and preventive care. Having health insurance ensures that you can access necessary healthcare services without facing significant financial burdens. Additionally, many countries mandate health insurance to ensure that their citizens receive essential medical care.

Description: Auto insurance is a legal requirement in most countries for anyone owning a vehicle. It offers financial protection in case of accidents, theft, or damage caused by your vehicle to others or their property. Different types of auto insurance, such as liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage, cater to various needs. It is crucial to have appropriate auto insurance to avoid potential financial losses and legal issues in the event of an accident.

Description: Life insurance is a policy that provides a lump sum payment to beneficiaries upon the insured’s death. It is an essential financial planning tool that offers peace of mind, knowing that your loved ones will have financial security and stability after you are gone. Life insurance can be used to cover funeral expenses, outstanding debts, mortgage payments, and even provide income replacement for the family. The amount of coverage needed depends on individual circumstances, such as family size, outstanding debts, and future financial goals.

Description: Homeowners insurance is designed to protect your home and personal belongings against unexpected events like fire, theft, vandalism, or natural disasters. It provides coverage for both the physical structure of your home and your possessions inside it. Moreover, homeowners insurance often includes liability coverage, which protects you if someone is injured on your property. Lenders typically require homeowners insurance for anyone with a mortgage to safeguard their investment.

Description: Travel insurance offers coverage for unforeseen events that may occur during your travels, both domestically and internationally. It can include benefits such as trip cancellation/interruption, medical emergencies, lost luggage, travel delays, and emergency evacuation. Travel insurance is especially important when planning expensive trips, traveling to remote locations, or engaging in adventurous activities. It helps mitigate financial losses and provides assistance when facing unexpected challenges away from home.

Newsletter Sign-Up:

Stay in the Loop!

Receive important insurance information right in your inbox weekly!

Newsletter Form | Email Verication